Flowers in Oils and Acrylics

Pink rose study.
Pink rose study. Wanted to add more depth to the rose so here is my re-worked example.
Oil on 8x8 deep canvas
Oil on 8×8 deep canvas
Acrylic on 8x8 deep canvas
Acrylic on 8×8 deep canvas
Painting for a friend...
Painting for a friend…

As you can see I love flowers! One of my fondest memories was as a little girl helping my Mom plant and tend to her flower beds. One of my favorite flowers was her roses. She only had one rose-bush which she received from a neighbor. I can remember watching with great anticipation for the first blooms of the season to arrive. Still to this day the rose is my favorite flower. I have several different varieties in my garden each beautiful in their own unique way. I know I can never expect to capture its true beauty for God is the only one that can do that.
One of my other favorite flowers is the hydrangea. Hydrangea needs an acid well-drained soil and Corpus Christi is humid and the soil is mostly very dense clay. So it wasn’t until we moved to the Texas Hill country, which has a drier climate, that I first encounter the majestic hydrangea. I fell in love with the way the flower would change colors during its bloom cycle. But the most wonderful part was how well they dried. I have vase’s full of dried flowers that I enjoy all year-long. I hope my flowers give you the inspiration to try painting some of your favorite flowers as well.

Study in Water-Color and Acrylics

Reverse painting technique

Reverse painting  technique
Reverse painting technique
Rose
8×8 Acrylic on primed panel

 

Decided to post both paintings a study in water-color and acrylics   at the same time.  On the water-color my goal was to  become familiar with mixing colors to keep the clean fresh look that makes water-color so beautiful.  It’s not easy and I find myself getting a little stressed over it all.  I know the more I practice the easier it will become, so plan on doing a lot of these little studies to help me with color mixing.

Water-color is fast becoming  my favorite medium.  It is also the most challenging medium for me.   With that being said I love a good challenge .  As I look at it I am thinking the pomegranate needs to be a shade or two darker to make it stand out from the rest of the painting. It helps to take a picture of your painting and study it, somehow it allows you to  see problem areas that you didn’t see before.  If I decide to make a change in the painting  I will post the two versions side by side so you can see the differences .

The second study was done in acrylics on a primed 8×8 board.  I have been trying to learn how to paint a rose for a while and I still don’t have it down but feel like I am making progress every time I try to paint one.   I am using the David Jansen, hope I spelled his name right, acrylics which has a long open time.  He worked with Chroma for 18 months developing  this product and mixing the colors.  If you are interested in learning more about his paints check out his videos on YouTube.

Stayed up too late last night so am not going to bore you with more of my babbling.  If you have any questions please contact me or post a comment.  If you would like to be notified when I post a new piece of art please sign up in the subscribe box.

 

 

Best Friends

My grand-daughter and her best friend
My grand-daughter and her best friend

image

Close up of horse in water-color
Close up of horse in water-color

Water-color painting “Best Friends” is complete. It’s not the best likeness of my grand-daughter but at least I did salvage it. The real challenge came when I tried to paint her lips and chin, they were so small I had to use my smallest brush and just put dots of paint in numerous layers. The horse was a breeze in comparison to the girl. As I was attempting to get her lips and chin painted correctly, the paper started rolling up, I think I must have used too much water. I thought I was going to have to chunk it for sure. But I hate to give up on anything so I decided I would try to figure out a way to fix it. I thought maybe I could try to seal her face with an acrylic medium and scrape the raised up paper off, and much to my surprise, it worked. I wanted to try to get the effect of water-color using acrylic’s but since I had used the acrylic medium it wouldn’t take the watered down paint. So by this time I was getting pretty frustrated with the whole thing and considered cutting the girl off to try to save the horse part of the painting. Again I had to make a choice to either keep trying to get her painted to some degree of acceptance, or give up and cut her off. So as you can see I chose to continue with my learning process. This experience taught me several things, never try to paint such a small face and never give up. Even though it didn’t come out as well as I wanted it to, it did teach me that there is always a way to fix a problem, if you just keep trying, and the bonus is you learn a lot in the process which will help you become a better artist. For me that is my real goal. My plan for this painting is have a copy made in a smaller size so it will fit into my fabric art journal. My message on this post is perseverance will pay off!!