Here is the mixed media canvas I created using the Joann Sharpe stencil on fabric.
1. Started out with a gessoed canvas.
2. Then took the stenciled fabric piece and glued it down using fluid gloss medium.
3. Next I tore strips of misc scrapbook paper and glued to the canvas using matte medium. Also used several pieces of the Gelli print I posted called "Monet".
4. Needed to make this layer into the back ground so I used a mixture of gesso and fluid glazing medium and painted it all over the whole canvas. Before it dried I used a baby wipe to bring some parts of the canvas into the middle ground. Note: The idea here is to pick out the parts that you want to be seen and are interesting to you. This step also helps to marry all the materials into one cohisive canvas. Be sure to dry after each step.
5. Looking at what I have to this point I can see I need to start bringing out some colors and defining the areas I want to focus on. To do this I decided to use Gelatos. Scribbled some lines around the canvas using child like marks. Then came back and sprayed lightly with water to make a water color type effect. Using my finger I smeared the color around to shade areas. Dried
6. Next I used some paint markers by Montana…There will be a list below.
7. At this point I need some texture so used the same stencil ( Joann Sharpe's heart stencil) I used on the stenciled fabric called Flying Hearts, and applied molding paste to repeat the pattern. Let dry.
8. The remainder of the process is left up to the artist's preferance. I used multiple layers of paint, stencils, stamps and doodles being sure to dry between layers. Final layer is soft medium gloss to seal canvas.
1. 12X12 gessoed canvas
2. Golden fluid matte medium, soft gel med. gloss, soft gel med. matte, acrylic glazing liquid gloss…
3. Liquitex Gesso
4. Stenciled fabric or other base art work you may want to use as inspiration.
5. Misc scrapbook paper, old book pages, gelli prints ect.
6. Faber-Castell Gelatos, Big brush pens.
7. Montana paint markers, shock yellow light, shock blue light, shock pink light.
8. Inka God Metalic rub/old silver
9. Pan Pastel Violet #PV23
10. Dylusions sprays
11. Stampers Anonymous-Tim Holtz scrip, Inkadinkadoo-flowers, stencils, TWC mini wonky circles-Balzar Designs, chicken wire stencil don't know the brand.
12. Free web printables butterflies